Advanced Maths is quite different from the ordinary Math taught in secondary schools. It requires foreknowledge of important concepts before one can pursue mastery over a topic.
Parents play a pivotal role in the success of their children. This is especially so during crucial points in their education, one being when they are sitting for Advanced Maths examinations. Math tuition in Singapore may even be necessary.
Given below are some tips on how to help your child do well in an exam.
1) Regular assessment – To achieve excellence, students must take advantage of regular assessments. The assessments should be done through past papers or through sending the child questions that were given previously. This way, it becomes easy to know what topics are likely to come up and how much time has to be allocated for each topic. Knowing where you stand helps answer better at the actual examination.
2) Preparation before examination – Parents or teachers who send mock test papers give out important advice regarding the preparation before the actual examination. They also suggest certain strategies to maximize recall before going into a test. For instance, they advise students to spend a few minutes refreshing their memory about a particular topic and its related concepts before going in for a test. This enables them to recall much more information as compared to those who rush through recalling everything from scratch.
3) Find ways of explaining vague ideas – As many topics covered in Advanced Maths are abstract, it is important that students develop an effective strategy of understanding these aspects. Parents or teachers can help out by finding several different ways of explaining a certain theory or concept. This not only helps students understand better but also remember better — since the brain processes information better when presented in many different ways.
4) Review of topics – Sometimes, students forget what they learnt earlier. Parents or teachers need to be vigilant about this and schedule regular reviews on the different concepts that were taught. This ensures that everything is covered in time before the examinations.
5) Take advantage of audiovisual learning tools (i.e Khan Academy) – There are many audiovisual learning tools for parents to use with their children whenever studying new topics. These help them learn faster than if they were left on their own to figure things out by trial and error.
Our A math tuition Singapore often encounter the common pitfalls associated with teaching A math. Most tuition centres would, in fact, have to be patient — more so with weaker students. A maths tuition centre must have the qualities of patience and demonstrability, with many having math academy tuition centre experience.
In addition, secondary school students are always busy with CCAs and other subjects. Hence math tuition may be the last thing in their mind. Consider that A math lab classes are harder for both math tutors and students — then would you understand the gravity of finding great math tuition classes for your child.
Things to keep in mind
Parents must also keep in mind some aspects when guiding their child through an Advanced Maths examination:
1) Students must be allowed to show their workings – This is especially important in Singapore examinations since the focus is on developing thinking skills and not rote learning.
2) Work at your own pace – It is important for children to work at their own speed when attempting an examination. Parents must not pressurize them into completing everything in a short time period. This might lead to the loss of concepts if rushed through carelessly. Children need enough time to process all the information and understand it better before actually tackling sections in an exam. Thus, it is important that parents monitor this factor in their children’s studies too.
3) Make sure you know all relevant syllabus material well enough – When preparing students for examinations, parents should make sure that they know all the relevant syllabus material well enough. This enables them to provide the right kind of guidance and support to their children in a way that increases both possibilities of success and self-confidence. However, not all Parents are fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to grasp or remember the concepts that they have learnt — given the limited time already have. Hence tutors are often always the solution most Parents lean towards.
Despite the many parents who have been through school themselves, most struggle with the math syllabi for most Primary and Secondary levels. In fact, most parents realize that they do not truly understand it well enough to be able to guide their children comfortably. Thus tutors most often end up being a necessary solution if you’re looking for full support from your child’s education from start to finish!
Even in a National university, many students would find their math classes helpful as core concepts are tested in certain modules. Many world-class universities do offer practice classes, however, they cannot rival experience built from a math tuition centre when they are young.
If your child needs guidance with Advanced level mathematics, feel free to reach out to us! As we can provide tailored A math solutions for your child. Finding the right tuition centre is an important step to their secondary math journey!